Tuesday, May 17, 2011

False Alarm

Well, that was most disappointing!  Made it to the hospital around 7pm last night only to find that a day's worth of contractions had gotten me nowhere.  I was so hoping we were having a baby last night.  Instead, I was given a sleeping pill to help me sleep through the contractions.  I had to take it before I left the hospital, so I'm pretty sure I was out of it by the time we got home.  J probably has some good stories to tell because I don't remember anything past the milkshake we got on the way home as a very poor consolation prize.

I did something similar with C's pregnancy, but hadn't waited so long to go.  With her, it was just a few hours of contractions.  When I got there, they made me drink lots of water and the contractions faded.  This time around, I knew better (I thought).  There have been a couple of intermittent days of contractions, and then yesterday's annoying stretch.  I'd been drinking water, changing my position, etc. and they kept coming, so I thought we were ready.  Nope.  And they gave me more of that magical hospital water last night...haven't had a contraction since.  Not sure what they put in that cup with the water, but it stalls contractions faster than the stuff at home.

I'm trying to tell myself this morning that it's really for the best.  Yes, I had to pull on the compression stockings again, but I'm still not at 37 weeks, so he could use a few more days-weeks to grow.  We also have a ballet recital this weekend that will be much easier to navigate without a newborn.  And J's company launches their new product on Monday.  It really will be better to be patient.  Maybe we'll decide on his name!

No comments: