Friday, September 4, 2009

Treasure and Ponder

I had one of those sweet, rare moments with my daughters this afternoon that I just want to savor and squirrel away to give me fuel for those days when one or both is screaming in decibels that could make your ears bleed. It was right after naps and it probably didn't hurt that I had gotten one also. It's been a big week around here and we topped it off with a cherry of a playgroup this morning. So we were all tuckered out and took great naps. Formula for tender, memory-making moments duly noted. I was holding a sleepy-eyed C on my lap on the couch and A decided there was just enough room to squeeze up on the other side. They were nose to nose in my lap--big sister talking in quiet tones (very rare), singing to her baby sister, stroking her curls--all right there under my chin. A deluge of loving-kindness from my heavenly Father.

It made me think of Mary, Jesus' mother. The Bible says she "treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart," referring to the day Jesus was born and the shepherds came to see Him because a host of angels had told them to go find Him. Can you imagine having things like that going on with your newborn and not having a camera to capture any of it?! I know this is not a very spiritual thing to be thinking, but here I go thinking it. I can't trust my heart to treasure and ponder for five minutes, much less the rest of my life. I had to blog about my sweet moment, lest I forget it was possible when aliens invade my three-year-old's body tomorrow and scream in demonic voices, "but I don't have to go potty!" even when the tell-tale dance suggests otherwise.

Dear Father, please give extra staying power to my fond memories, that I may treasure and ponder them in my heart. And by some supernatural miracle, please help me really be able to forgive and forget like I know You do.

No comments: