Friday, September 4, 2009

Milestone

C started mumbling her first real word today. It happened first in the car on the way home from playgroup, a pitiful little "ma ma" mixed in with her tired whines. Big sister perked up and yelled, "She said Mama!" I mm-hmm'ed her and wrote it off as a fluke. Then this afternoon, I was coaxing her to come to me in her walker and she started again with very deliberate, repeated "ma ma ma ma ma ma." Of course, my heart swelled with pride and I beamed right back at her precious little face as I scooped her up and snuggled her close, both chanting "Mama, Mama." We played a little longer but she soon got fussy and I put her in her high chair for a snack. Her little feet started twirling like propellers, hands stirring up a frenzy, and now a word, too..."MA MA MA MA MA!" That's when it occured to me that she was not verbalizing her sweet adoration for her mother; she was repeating the only word we've really emphasized to her--"more." We've been saying and signing "more" for a few weeks now when she is eating, and the girl is obviously motivated by food. It wasn't very sophisticated, but she managed to communicate so I'm counting it. First word, 7 1/2 months. Only three months earlier than big sister started talking (who is now the busiest talker I have ever met). Pink arrows, folks, pink arrows.

No comments: