Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dear C,

Today you are eight months old. Eight months of flashing that incredible smile at us. Eight months of squealing laughter (and I mean skuh-weeling!). I have no idea what your stats are today because there is no well-check at 8 months and I don't want to climb into the attic and haul down the baby scale only to have no place to put it and have to lug it back up there. You're healthy, that's what's important.

You're going to take off crawling any day now which is way too fast for me. I put you on the floor to play yesterday and you managed to swivel and scoot your way about three feet away from your blanket. You bend one leg behind you and do a cheerleader's herkie pretty quick upon being set down. It's just a matter of time before you get the other leg back there and flop onto all fours. Daddy likes to encourage you by crawling all around you while you rock back and forth. He likes to make my life easier that way.

A handful of people have told me in the last week that your hair shows signs of being red. Auburn, I think one called it. I only see the hints when we're in the sun, so we'll wait and see. You've definitely still got quite a head of hair. Curls all over. You always get comments from strangers. They probably wouldn't make such a big deal about it if I would comb it every now and then.

You are sleeping great through the night, though I wish you would sleep in a little longer. You start moving around shortly after 6 am. Naps are another story. Just like your sister, you like a good 45-minute nap. We've had our battles over that and as hard as it might be for you, Mommy has to win this one. You've started getting very clingy in the last month, and I'm not sure if it's the rough naps or typical separation anxiety. I can't leave a room without you fussing at me, and now you pile on the guilt by starting to plead, "ma ma ma ma" if I'm out of sight too long.

You really enjoy eating! Frozen peas are your current delicacy of choice. It's not uncommon for you to turn your nose up at other offerings until you've had a few handfuls of peas. I tried frozen cantaloupe today and you enjoyed that too. Wonder if you would feel the same about frozen vienna sausages? I don't think I can bring myself to do that to you. The last few times I suggested you eat "meat sticks," they sent shivers down your spine. Bananas had the same effect. Otherwise, you'll eat almost anything I give you and lots of it!

You love your big sister. Chasing her around the house in Mommy's arms is a huge hit with both of you. You two can break the windows when you both get going with the high-pitched shrieks of laughter. She can even make you giggle in the back seat of the car. You love to swing in the backyard next to her. Any time she goes out to swing, you want to go too. I can't wait to see you playing together in a few more months.

One day you will be able to read this and want to know more and more about what you were like. Hate to leave you wanting, but I have to wrap up now because you've only slept 20 minutes and you think you're done. I need to go inform you otherwise, because cute as it is, your infectious smile won't carry us both until bedtime. I love you, C.

1 comment:

tpot said...

I love your blog! It is so beautiful, and I can't wait to read more!