Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hair Update

So I know you're all dying to know how the 'poo-free routine is going. I know this because it is the most frequent question I get from my loyal blog readers...all seven of you. But you keep asking and I keep waiting to answer because I'm hoping to arrive at my final answer. But I don't think I'm going to have one, so here is what I've learned.

I am still using the baking soda/water shampoo. I started in February with one tablespoon of baking soda per cup of water. I was also doing an apple cider vinegar (acv) rinse every time I shampooed that consisted of one tablespoon of acv per cup of water. I quickly realized that this combo turned my hair to straw. Fluffy and soft, yet very much straw. Naturally curly hair does not look good when fluffy.

So I did some research and decided to try a tablespoon of honey in a cup of water for my conditioner instead of acv. Bad idea! It did help with the straw hair, but I had really gross filmy build-up on my scalp. Then I discovered that honey water left in the bottle will grow huge black balls of mold. Even nastier! So that combo went down the drain.

Keep in mind through all of this that each new attempt takes several trials to determine the change it will render. It takes even longer when you accept the reality that mothers of littles don't get a shower every day. I knew going in to this that it was a trial and error process, and a very individual process. I am dedicated to finding the right mix because I like the positive side effects I've seen (more on that later).

The next thing I tried was half a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup and a half of water. That didn't seem to do the trick because my scalp got oily very quick. Now I'm doing half a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of water. I've also cut back on the acv rinse, keeping the ratio the same, but only using it once every 3-4 washes, and only applying it to the ends of my hair, not my scalp.

My saving grace has been the natural replacement I found for leave-in conditioner. After I towel-dry my hair, I smooth a finger-full of coconut oil onto the ends. Lots of testimonies I read encourage the organic, pure-pressed coconut oil; but you know me...ever the cheapskate. I paid about $5 for a vat of Louanna coconut oil at HEB. So far, so good. It works wonders on frizzies! And seriously, the tiniest amount is sufficient. Too much produces stringy hair, or so I've been told. It comes solid, but if you scrape a little out of the container and rub it between your fingers, it melts on contact and then you smooth it into your hair. No, it doesn't smell like Hawaiian Tropic; I can't detect any fragrance.

Another factor in the equation is the change in seasons. Now that winter is over and I'm finding cool showers more refreshing than hot showers, I think my formula needs to be a little different. It only makes sense that as my skin and hair get more oily with the heat and humidity, that I would need to take care of them differently. This had never occurred to me before. Why would the same products work year-round when my skin and hair change with the seasons? I like the natural alternatives because they are easy to adapt and if one recipe isn't working for me, it's so cheap that I can pour it out and start over.

I'm going to give a little more information in the name of thorough reporting, so I hope I don't cross a line. I was hoping that going 'poo-free would eliminate my itchy scalp problem. I have had problems with my head being itchy for as long as I can remember. I've tried special shampoos, but never experienced much change. I chalked it up to having sensitive skin. Each new ratio of baking soda/water that I try, I hope will help more; but that has not been the case. Granted, it isn't any worse. I think I am more tuned in to it now than I have been in the past because I am trying to pay attention to degrees of difference with each change in formulation. I'm having a hard time believing that my head is still itchy because the rest of my body is not. That has been the greatest surprise side effect. I think commercial shampoos were stripping the moisture from all the skin downstream of my head. I've noticed that my arms and legs are not nearly as dry as they used to be and don't require as much lotion. So why doesn't that translate to my scalp?!

This is why I have waited so long to give an update. Because I still don't have a solid answer. I still feel good about the cost savings and the simplicity of baking soda and acv. And I really like that I'm in control of what goes on my scalp and how it is helping with the rest of my skin. My hair also feels really healthy. I like the softness when combined with the manageability of the coconut oil. And it seems to behave very well, too. My conclusion thus far is that the natural solutions work as good or better than the commercial solutions. So I'll keep tinkering and trying to find the right mix.

If you're committed to making the switch, you might want to check out a few of these links for more troubleshooting info:
Babyslime (what a blog name, huh?!) - incredible details and helps!
Keeper of the Home - notice she uses a different ratio of ingredients
Sorta Crunchy - she uses a paste of ingredients instead of liquid
You can also get great ideas by reading the comments on these blogs. Be warned, though, that you could easily get sucked into the loathsome Bermuda Triangle of Time.

Let me know what you are trying. What's working? What's not? I know you're trying it, don't be embarrassed. Speak up and maybe we can figure it out together.

2 comments:

CMiller said...

I'm still working out the kinks,too. I found that increasing the acv helped tame the frizzies. I use 4T acv to 1 Cup of water. I spray it liberally with my head upside down, and I scrunch to evenly distribute. I do not spray roots. I let that sit (I turn my head back around) while I scrub the shower with a scrunchy and a little shampoo (flylady), then I do a quick (not thorough) cold rinse. Also, I think the oiliness is still the transition time. I read that hard water should be boiled before mixing the baking soda wash, so I'm doing that, and I'm using a bit of heaping Tablespoons of Baking soda. On occasions I will use the paste method if I think I need a little more umph to the wash. My oiliness is getting better. It is a day or two before the oilies send me to the shower. Clean wet hair feels different than shampooed hair, but when dry it feels good. I'm not sure how to style it, though. Combing makes a fluffy mess, so messy ponytail is my style of choice.

tpot said...

Well, I have to confess that I completely gave up. I was using the standard 1TB per cup of water for both baking soda and acv. At first I really liked it. Then suddenly I couldn't stand it anymore. It did make the itchiness at the back of my head go away. I used to use the Nutrogena T-gel to get rid of this. It would help but I had to use it about every two weeks or sometimes more. Anyway, suddenly my hair started feeling like cobwebs and like you said very dry and strawlike. Put a desperate need for a haircut on top of this and I lost it. I put the car wax back on my hair. And every morning as I wax my hair I think of that with a smile. It's horrible, but maybe I'm just at a place where I need my hair to be easy. Go figure. I'm still interested in giving it another try, but maybe I need to mess with the ratios.