Monday, August 20, 2012

Back to Being Six

I had to interrupt the six-year-old birthday posts with the baby-brother-walking post.  It only seemed appropriate to not make that one wait a month.  But it's been the requisite month (or six weeks) since A's birthday, so I'm getting around to posting pics of it.

-Sidebar- I use blogging as a motivator.  I only let myself post if I feel like I have gotten done what I needed to get done in a certain day/week.  Only, I never get it all done.  Then the blog posts build up to a crescendo in my head and I can't shut up my own inner monologue and I finally give in and do a slew of posts and make something else wait.  That's why I'm always late on milestone posts.   -End sidebar-

We had a bit of a conundrum over A's birthday party theme this year.  She finally was enjoying swimming and decided she wanted a pool party.  But we don't have a pool.  And our neighborhood pool is too deep for her to enjoy.  Not to mention it's crazy expensive to rent a neighborhood pool!  We may have dropped enough hints, manhandled enough conversations, and eluded to enough happy things to convince her that she really wanted a party at our house with a readily-available-at-major-retailers theme.  So, My Little Pony it was!

It was really helpful that her favorite things right now are very simple...duck, duck, goose was her first game request.  Done!  We also pinned the tail on Pinkie Pie a few times.
We had at least a dozen too many cupcakes.  Mind you, they were frosted with each of the six main Ponies' colors.  
The girls were enamored with balloon animals and face painting at several events we went to over the summer.  So Daddy twisted a few balloons and cousin R stepped in to paint cutie-marks on hands.  Although, the boys got spiders and lightning bolts.
J is amazing at his powers of persuasion and imagination.  He spun his two-balloon-trick repertoire from dogs to ponies, then pegasuses (pegasi?) and even a baby dragon.  The kids were amazed!
"What?!" you say.  "You let small children run around your house with wet paint on their hands?!"  Why, yes, I did.  It was a small price to pay to get out of making a piñata, thank you very much.  And I used an old trick up my sleeve and had each masterpiece powered with baby powder when it was done to set it.  It dulled the paint, but since everyone's looked the same, none of the kids complained.  And I haven't found any smears on my walls (yet).

Happy Birthday, A!  May the wonder of you never cease.

No comments: