Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Know What Would Help?

I know you're all on pins and needles wondering how the potty training is going.  We got off to a good start yesterday and my hopes were high as we cruised toward quiet time.  She had even done a poop in the potty!  I was really impressed.

Let me just share a bit of potty training advice.  Listen closely, because this is the only potty training advice I have.  My first daughter pretty much trained herself and I think this one is going to go very similarly.  But I have learned one very important thing in the last 24 hours.  Ready?  Do NOT feed your child oranges in the days prior to starting potty training!  Bad news!

We went through three pairs of panties and a bath mat in the first half of quiet time along with about half a package of wipes.  By the time that was out of her system, she realized what fun it was to "try" during quiet time...lots of attention from mom when you're supposed to be playing alone.  I think she "tried" about 382 times before quiet time was over.

All told, she did very well yesterday.  I really cannot slight her for the orange-induced accidents.  It actually helped her catch on to her body's signals.  And an even bigger WOW...she stayed dry all night!!  I'm very hopeful that this will be a quick process as she continues to gain confidence and practice.

I had made an observation yesterday during quiet time that she could benefit from a couple of good step stools for washing her hands.   At supper last night, I started angling for a mommy-only trip to Target by asking J, "You know what would really help with the potty training effort?"  Not waiting for an answer, I supplied my own, "A couple of well-placed stools."  Having heard all the gory details of the quiet time mess,  J looked at me for about half a second before busting out in laughter and saying, "Well, yes, that is sort of the point.  What has your goal been today?" We both started laughing at my unintended joke and the girls joined in having no clue what was so funny.  Laughter is good for the soul.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

oh that is by far the worst part of potty training (a non-napping child) is that you don't get any break, b/c there up during nap needing your attention and you can't tell them no!!!

Sounds like she's doing great, who knew, oranges! note to self.