Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Deja Vu

We've been "back" for almost two weeks already and I'm experiencing a serious case of deja vu.  Moving back to a place you've lived before is a good set up for an episode of Twilight Zone.  "Do I know that person?  How do I get there?  I think I know where that is, but maybe I should map it just to be sure.  Has that always been there?  Your children are so big!!  Yes, I probably should know what you're talking about, but I don't."  All very good thoughts and problems to be having.

We are returning to a lot of the same things that we did before...same church, almost the same neighborhood, same stores.  We see friends that we haven't seen in three years and hear, "Welcome back!!"  We see acquaintances and hear, "I feel like I should know you, but I don't."  This is a very unusual move, in a very good way.

And how often do you get to move and take your friends with you?  Never!  My children will always think that moving is fun since they got to move with their best friends.  We've met up with our usual playmates at new parks, festivals, restaurants, and malls.  How bizarre is that?!  In a really wonderful way.

All of this contributes to my feeling that we are returning from a wonderful, extended vacation.  A vacation in a great place where we had time to really get to know the locals and be part of their crazy traditions.  A vacation with life-changing friends, memories and lessons.  Who gets to do that?!  What a blessed chapter in our life story.

So we're back.  And like I'm telling A frequently, "Yes, we've been here before, but not like this."  We were different people then, and the now-us gets to make a now-life in this place.  Immeasurably more than we could ask or imagine, all over again.

No comments: