Monday, July 18, 2011

Thanks!

Wow!  What a great birthday I've had this year!  J came home early on Friday to stay with Z while I took the girls to their first movie in the theater.  We saw Winnie the Pooh on the big screen and it was a lot of fun.  I had mixed feelings about our arrival time.  We were running late, so we missed the previews (good thing because you never know what you'll see) but had to find seats and get situated in the dark (bad thing).  It was a great experience and I hope to repeat it in a week or so at the dollar summer movie for kids when they play Horton Hears a Who.

Saturday morning, J stayed with all three kids (!!!) and sent me out of the house with cash in hand to spend only on myself.  He said he was going to want to see receipts and I couldn't spend any of it on the girls or homeschool stuff.  He knows me really well.  I picked up some new duds and enjoyed a silent lunch on my own.  Wonderful birthday gift!!

While I was gone, he took the girls to the grocery store to pick out a cake mix for me.  They came back and made brownies for me that afternoon and supplemented the birthday decorations still up from A's party.  The girls spent some time drawing me pictures and finding gift bags to put them in.

Sunday, we all actually made it to church on time and enjoyed being back in the groove with our friends.  We attempted a civilized lunch at a restaurant afterward.  Only missed it by one diaper blow-out.  Newborn poop is diabolical when said newborn is in a car seat.  That afternoon, J baked the chocolate cake with chocolate icing that the girls knew I wanted.  I guess I've said a few loving words about chocolate as of late.

Today (my actual birthday), a sweet neighbor friend came over to play with the girls all morning.  I wasn't expecting to get much done because Z is so unpredictable.  But he took a THREE HOUR NAP!!  Hallelujah!  I got soooo much done!  I feel lighter and happier having checked so much off my to-do list.  Since I was feeling caught up, I was able to enjoy spending the afternoon playing with the girls and reading to them while Z took another big nap.  I really believe all this time today was God's birthday present for me.

To top it all off, I've received dozens of birthday greetings in cards, emails and Facebook messages.  Icing on an already sweet day!  Thanks to everyone who made me feel so special and loved on my birthday, especially my hard-working, fast-thinking, never-a-dull-moment best friend of a husband.

No comments: