Wednesday, July 6, 2011

On Being Five

Dear A,

Today you are five.  When I wished you a happy birthday this morning, your eyes lit up and you said, "Mom, am I really five?  I think I'm bigger."  We went to the wall where I mark your growth and sure enough, you're bigger.  You said you could jump higher today, too.  Daddy asked you if five-year-olds whine and you replied, "No-oo, Dad" as if that was soooo 2010.

You enjoy Littlest Pet Shop, Care Bears, Hello Kitty, Polly Pocket, and My Little Pony.  You play "mommy and baby" with C for hours every day and thoroughly enjoy the authority that comes with being the mommy.  Playing school is also good for a power trip.  Your latest thrill is taking pictures with our iPhones.  Matter of fact, you love all things screen-related...computer games, tv shows, phone games.

Ana B. is your bff and you are two peas in a pod.  You both think the other hung the moon and you could play "baby puppies" together all day.  You love to play rough with your daddy and want every day to be a stay-home day for him.  You make beautiful drawings for our fridge every day and I look forward to the stories you have to go along with your pictures.

You requested blueberry pancakes for breakfast and McDonald's for lunch.  I think I detected a little flirting going on with the boys on the playscape.  Don't get in a hurry, sweet pea, there'll be plenty of time for that ten years from now.

You make me proud when I see you play sweetly with C, or talk tenderly to Z.  Every now and then, you get a wild hair and help out without being asked.   You don't like to be alone, have your hair brushed, do chores, or go to WalMart.

Writing my thoughts about you today makes me wish I had more time to study you and discover your needs and wants, your love language, what makes you excited or sad.  You continue to amaze us as you grow and I want to be the mom you need along the way.  Thank you for being patient with us as we experiment with parenting on you.  We have lots to learn together and I'm so happy to grow another year bigger with you.

1 comment:

Lori B. said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I can't believe how quickly the time is going all the sudden. I love our little ladies so much. We are blessed indeed Sarah. They are such amazing little people, the both of them. :)