Sunday, June 12, 2011

Introducing...

Zane Miller Kelley! 

Can you believe we finally named our son?!  We had tossed the Zane option months ago because I felt it was not quite in keeping with the traditional names of our daughters.  But when I asked J if he had any strong preferences, he said he still really liked Zane Miller.  I figured my misgivings were not strong enough to keep my man from naming his son what he wanted.

If you trust the baby name book, Zane is a variation of John, meaning God is gracious.  Miller was J's grandpa's name.  J has lots of fond memories of his grandpa and has been told on more than one occasion that he and his grandpa had a lot in common.  I wish I could have had the honor of meeting him.

In case you haven't heard, he was 8 lbs, 12 oz and 21" long!  That's a big baby! And he was in no hurry to greet the world.

I kept saying all day Tuesday during the delivery that I was so glad we had decided to induce.  I left the house  shortly before 7 am looking like this...
...and having made no progress in dilating since my last doctor's appointment.  I got started on pitocin at 8:30 am and the doctor came back at noon to find that I was still not making any progress.  If left to his own devices, this boy would've camped out in my womb for another month!  The doctor broke my water at 12:30 pm and that got things moving.  By 1:30 pm, I was getting the epidural and he arrived at 2:56 pm!

Even when being evicted, he put up a little resistance.  His shoulder got stuck against my pubic bone and I was given the medically-necessary pile driver to the gut by one of the nurses to help him rotate and get past that last hurdle. Fortunately, the epidural was successful and I was oblivious to any pain.

Praise God we both maintained great vitals through the entire delivery, the epidural lasted the hour I needed it to, and we arrived at a name before leaving the hospital!  I could not have asked for things to go any better than they did.  Thanks to all those who were praying; to God be the glory!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Yeah!!! I'm so glad to meet him, he is beautiful and so big, oh my you weren't kidding on how uncomfortable you were :)

I love the name, love it!

Can't wait to come meet him.