Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Week in Review

Last week was a whirlwind around here.  I think everybody got together and decided that all Christmas social events should be completed before the middle of December, so they are all getting crammed into two weeks instead of three or four.

Monday is always our do-nothing day.  We stay home, do laundry, and recuperate from the weekend.  Last Monday I helped the girls make Christmas ornaments and sugar cookies.  The ornaments went pretty well. My only note to self is way to go on choosing plastic ornaments to paint, but keep in mind that wet paint on a plastic ball bouncing across your kitchen tile will make a widespread mess.

Tuesday was a mad run to the grocery store before ballet because my first attempt at a cookie recipe didn't work.  The second attempt turned out great and I took them to the ladies' cookie exchange for our Sunday School class that night.

Wednesday morning I attempted to take both girls to the dentist for routine check-ups.  We have new insurance so I had to pick a new office.  I chose poorly.  There were at least two dozen families in the waiting room and even though we had an appointment, I was told we would be waiting about an hour to be seen.  No, thank you.  I cut my losses and cancelled the appointment.

Wednesday afternoon, J graciously came home early so I could catch up on computer work...things like paying bills, reconciling accounts and ordering Christmas cards that really require a modicum of concentration.  He took the girls Christmas shopping for me and each other.  Can't wait to see what they got.

Thursday I dropped the girls off at a friend's house and headed out of town to visit a friend who just gave birth to premie twins.  Three hours in the car by myself is luxury, I tell you.  I got to listen to several podcasts from our previous church and spend some good time talking to God.  Also had a good, if quick, visit with the new mom.

Thursday evening we had a Christmas party for the band of hooligans that offices with J.  I'm so grateful that he is working with friends, enjoying what he is doing, and getting paid to do it with someone else's money.  We all enjoyed dinner together, corralled the kids and exchanged gifts.

Friday morning, I met our playgroup at a local retirement home to deliver Christmas cards the kids had made the week before and sing a couple of carols.  This was a first for me with my kids and I was thrilled with how well it went.  I was especially proud of A, who persisted in engaging several of the residents in conversation.  She did a great job asking and answering questions, giving me hope of doing something similar on a more regular basis.

Friday night I had bunko and I was so sad that my stomach was not cooperating.  I'd been feeling great and loving that my first trimester gross was mostly behind me.  Not so on bunko night.  I had to forego the usual yummy feast for a crustless pb&j.  How sad is that?!  I'm sure I'll make up for it next month.

Saturday morning, I made a couple of batches of edible treats to give away to friends before we all took off for the WalMart.  We were pushing lunchtime by the time we got done shopping, so we sat down at the Subway to have sandwiches.  Can I just say that is a people-watcher's paradise?!  Oh the things you can see from the WalMart Subway.

After naps on Saturday, we enjoyed an open house at a friend's home.  I like that Christmas is a good time to see faces that we don't see very often, meet new people, and keep up with existing friends.  Especially when it is at someone else's house.  After the open house, I paid J back for his earlier favor of time and he took off to go do some Christmas shopping on his own and go to a poker tournament with the men of our Sunday School class.  I came home, made some cookies, bathed the girls, and put them in front of a Christmas movie with a bucket of popcorn for supper.  I think popcorn for supper raised my cool-quotient a few points in A's eyes.

We made it to church on Sunday, took naps, then said bye to J so he could drive a spare car to the new mom who's going to be living near her babies' hospital for a few months.  He got back home just in time for our own open house that we invited our neighbors to.

Needless to say, we all slept good Sunday night!  This week is proving to be much slower, thank goodness.  C threw in an ear infection to keep things interesting, but we're going to enjoy a break from regular activities and make sure we're ready for next week.

1 comment:

tpot said...

Sounds like you've been super busy! Makes me wish we'd gone to the Christmas party tonight we were invited to. It's just hard figuring it all out. How to fit time in for everyone and everything. Can't believe how big the girls are getting. There pictures look so grown up! What cuties and beauties!