Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Merry Christmas to All!

I'm sure that one is the cause of the other, but I'm grateful that technology has enabled me to keep in touch with loved ones despite the rising cost of postage.  Sometimes I wax nostalgic about handwritten notes and cards, especially when I see beautiful stationary.  But for the most part, I really do enjoy the quick and expansive delivery offered by technology.  Hence, the annual Christmas letter has gone the way of a blog post for better or worse.

We kicked off 2010 with a one-year birthday party for C, and shortly thereafter, her much-needed first haircut.  J was putting in some intense research hours towards his phD in Computer Science through the spring semester as well as launching a new social/mobility development shop to pay the bills.  God provided abundantly more than we could ask or imagine when an independent investor took interest in their idea and generously funded the project for the next year.  

March was a big month as we experienced the first major surgery for one of our children.  A's surgery to correct both trigger thumbs went well and we rarely think about it anymore.  We had a fun, busy summer with softball for dad, swimming lessons for A, sledding (yes, in the summer), a princess birthday party for A, Rome-themed VBS, and the usual smattering of family visits and friendly dinners.  With the milestone of birthday #4, we also said goodbye to thumb-sucking.  

I spent a lot of time in the summer researching and planning for our first year of homeschool that kicked off in the fall.  We're taking some time off for Christmas now, and I'm looking forward to a fresh start in January.  With the new school year, came other new responsibilities.  J and I joined the leadership team for our class at church and also launched a new home group.  I continue to coordinate playgroups once a week for our class.  We've been blessed with growing friendships through our church community and count it a privilege to serve among them.

A started ballet lessons this fall.  Her favorite part is the lollipop at the end of each class if she listens well.  C attempted potty-training, but we'll hope to report more success with that in the new year.  We said good-bye to our first family pet; and fixed our first major gas leak (completely unrelated to the fish's death).

We were blessed with our third pregnancy in October and look forward to baby #3 arriving in early June.  The big ultrasound will be in early February, so check back for news of the gender.  With the end of my first trimester, I'm enjoying more good days than gross days.  It's time to break out the maternity wardrobe and show off the bump.

What a mighty God we serve!  Abundant in love and faithfulness!  I am grateful for so many blessings, including a slow week before Christmas with time for blogging.  How fun to look back on my year's posts and relive His goodness.  Thanks for indulging me.  May your Christmas week be calm, reflective, full of love and cheer.  May we all celebrate the coming of our King with praise overflowing and eager anticipation of His return.  Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Sarah, I read the whole thing...wonderful! I even clicked a few links. ;) Such a great news! My fave...the last paragraph. You wrote it so beautifully, and the praise is so appropriate.

Merry Christmas to you, friend and neighbor!
Love,
Shannon