Monday, June 28, 2010

Confessions

Since I have blogged about my attempts at natural beauty and cleaning solutions, I feel the need to confess when I use a commercial alternative. Because I know you're all out there hinging on my every thought on the subject. So this blog post is brought to you by my fear of hypocrisy.

Baking soda shampoo - 90% usage rate. It has really helped that I repurposed a big conditioner bottle to use for my homemade shampoo. Because it holds so much, I feel like I can use a lot each time and not have to worry about refilling the bottle every time I bathe. Using more of the solution helps with the itchy scalp. And I don't really mind dousing my head with cold water during the summer.

Homemade laundry detergent - 100% usage rate. Seems to work pretty well.

Homemade dishwasher detergent - 0% usage rate. I think I screwed up the last batch by trying to mix it in the box. I think my ingredients got layered instead of throughly mixed. As a result, I was washing several loads with borax, then several loads with baking soda. My dishes were getting chalky. I got tired of re-rinsing, so I just went back to Cascade. When I get close to running out of that, I may try the homemade again. But this time, I'll mix it in a bowl first, then funnel it into the box.

Lanolin chapstick - 100% usage rate. Love it!

Homemade deodorant - pfththtbth! Let's not even go there in this heat.

Oil-cleansing method for my face - 100% usage rate. Can't say enough wonderful things about this!! Of all the natural things I have tried in the last year, this one sounded the strangest, but has definitely been the most beneficial and worthwhile. If you haven't tried it yet, you're missing out.

Double-edge safety razor - 30% usage rate. I probably feel the most guilty about this one. Every time I use my expensive, plastic cartridge refill, I feel my own words burning in my ears. I confess I was over-zealous on this one. I do love the frugality of the razor refills for the safety razor, but I can go a lot faster with the modern one. Since I rarely have time to gingerly coax the razor across my skin, I find myself bypassing the safety razor for the more expensive alternative. On days when I do have the luxury of more than ten minutes to shower and shave, I choose the safety razor to help save on the expensive refills.

Coconut oil for my hair - 100% usage rate. Seems to work well as a leave-in conditioner for the ends of my hair

Pure cocoa butter for lotion - 0% usage rate. I don't think I even blogged about this one because it was such a flop. I've read great things about the moisturizing properties of cocoa butter and how pure cocoa butter is even better. So I found some and forked over the dough for it, but it's practically impossible to use. It's so solid in it's container, that I have to scrape it out with a knife. Then, I would need to warm it in the microwave in a glass bowl to make it spreadable. Of course, you have to wait for it to cool because who wants to rub hot oil on their skin?! But don't get distracted and forget about it, or you'll have to start all over. Not worth it.

Ah, confession is good for the soul. I know I feel better now.

2 comments:

lori said...

50%/50% vinegar and water is a fab and super cheap fabric softener!!! I buy the big mamba jamba jug of white vinegar at Sam's.
It helps break down any residual laundry detergent, helps get rid of icky smells and doesn't leave any sort of vinegary scent. I've used it for over a year and no complaints!
I love your updates!!

tpot said...

Your confessions crack me up. My confessions are that I do none of it, but I try to buy pastured chicken and yard eggs when I can. That HAS to count for something! Love the stories of the kiddos below. So cute!