Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Day

Well, I should probably back up and share the weekend. Okay, so really it's best to start late last week. Yeah, that should be good. Remember the whole quiet-time thing? Not working. I would much rather have a battle at bedtime because--let's be honest--Daddy deals with those while I'm writing blog posts. We started that on Wednesday of last week and by Friday, I declared (in a very unloving voice) that she would most certainly be taking a nap tomorrow or we would both be unfit for polite society. Or something along those lines. No need to recall the exact verbiage.

I'm sure the lack of success had nothing to do with C's untimely case of croup. She woke up with a fever on Thursday morning and by Friday afternoon, we were in the doctor's office confirming the diagnosis. It also rained Friday afternoon; lots of it...about the time we were leaving the doctor's office. Not such a fun day for me. But then came bunko.

Can I just tell you how amazing it is to play bunko with a lady who was in the catering business for over 20 years?! The carbs, y'all, my goodness, the carbs!! She made some kind of cream cheese dip that made me drool. And homemade strawberry shortcake and key lime pie. That kind of calorie-load will erase a multitude of sins. Or at least cause you to shift your focus to a different variety of sins.

Saturday is kind of a blur because C was so puny. Oh, yes, the parental units were quite stir crazy (it was still raining), so we played Big Lots Lotto. Before we left the house, we each rolled three dice (A only got two, and C got none since she's not quite old enough to know she's being left out) and we could each spend the sum total of the dice at Big Lots. J was so sad that he had $12 to spend and could only find a box of Pop Rocks that he was interested in. A loaded up on princess goods...markers, notepads, stickers. When we got home, J was very disappointed that his pop rocks were not more entertaining than he had hoped. Don't get me wrong, he thoroughly enjoyed emptying the little packets into his mouth and then putting his open mouth near our ears so we could hear the candy sensation. I think he just thought the 3-year-old would get a bigger kick out of it. Hmm. She eventually warmed to the idea, but only after her own candy was gone.

Then Sunday, I had the honor and privilege of serving in our church nursery not one, not two, but three hours. With the 2-year-olds. We rely heavily on student help in the nursery and this was graduation weekend, which translates to lack-o-help in the nursery. I really didn't mind pitching in, but three hours with eight 2-year-olds is memorable to say the least. "No throwing. No climbing. No hitting. No screaming. No mouth." Someone should make a soundtrack.

J got to stay home with C. Which is why he learned about a spontaneous concert by one of his favorite artists happening that afternoon. He took A with him to a local church to hear Andy Gullahorn and Ross King. C and I hung out at home and rotated toys so the girls would have a fresh selection to start the week.

Monday morning, C was definitely feeling better. She hadn't run fever since Saturday. We made a quick run to HEB in the morning and then broke out the wading pool that afternoon. Note to self - do not leave the pool in the backyard all winter; very nasty scrubbing to be done come summer. C did not enjoy the pool as much as her sister, but it may have been due to the uncontrollable splashing and squealing on the part of her sister. She also did not enjoy the strawberry popsicle I offered her for snack. I tried to hand it to her and she took off in a lap around our patio, saying "no, no, no, no, no, no." After about five laps, I threw the popsicle in the sink and gave her plain ice. She enjoyed that much more.

Today is Tuesday and we took the day off from our usual visit to a friend's house to make sure C is out of the croup woods. We went to the park for a couple of hours this morning; fed some very assertive ducks. I had a very productive nap time, did a reading lesson with A, and thought I would get just one more thing done on my to-do list before starting supper. Had to call the credit card company to look into a rewards reimbursement. I refuse to go into the gory details because I don't think my blood pressure can handle the spike again today. But because I'm still outraged, here's the highlights: one hour and ten minutes, six people (one who didn't speak English and another who was very rude), finally find a solution to the problem, but "oh, sorry, we can't authorize the request because you aren't the primary card holder. Please have your husband call back and make the request." I had to send the girls outside because I didn't want to hear A's lecture later on "Stay calm. Ask for help nicely. Stay calm. Wait nicely for help. Stay calm."

When J got home and saw my beet-red face and frazzled hair, he agreed that supper out might be a good idea. Then we ran into Half-Price Books to pick up a new chapter book for A. I love the idea of being able to shop at a bookstore with my kids. C was even chanting, "book, book, book" as we walked the aisles. Except you have to imagine that with a heavy German accent, because it comes out more like, "boochk." I was putting her in bed and gave her a kiss, which she sweetly returned. She's gotten really sweet about kisses and readily planted one on my cheek, then sought out my other cheek and gave me another one in true French bisous style. Makes the bad credit card man melt away.

So that was my day. Well, my weekend. I guess since tomorrow is Wednesday, then we've come full circle and that was my week. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Oh I laughed all over again. You really are so talented with your words! I wonder if you shared any of those words with that mean, crusty credit card man. HAHA, just kidding!