Sunday, December 16, 2012

Houston, We Have Tourists

I've been sick this weekend and missing out on all the fun Christmas things my family is doing, so I'm trying to console myself by catching up on blog posts.  Here's what you should have seen back in October!

We went to a family reunion near Houston at the beginning of October and decided to make the most of it by taking H to see some sites.  J was so gracious and offered to take Z home straight from the reunion.  This turned our trip into a girls' weekend and gave us soooo much more flexibility.  

I tried to plan some things that you wouldn't really see in any other city.  All big cities have museums, zoos, old buildings, and she's seen lots of those.  But there's only one Johnson Space Center.  
I was worried it might be a little too abstract for my little girls, but there were plenty of things for them to see and enjoy.  Not to mention, the Space Center boasts a 5-story playscape that would have been a total nightmare without a teenager along who was willing to track down my hysterical, screaming C and show her how to get back down.
The highlight of the Space Center for the over-four-foot crowd was definitely the tram tour to mission control.  We almost didn't do it.  The line was super short when we first got there, but we weren't sure what it was for and it took 90 minutes.  That was a big unknown commitment.  So we saw some of the other things first and then went back to the line only to discover we now had to wait over an hour to do the 90-minute tour.  It was worth the wait.  I was so proud to be an American as I listened to the guide talk about all the history that had happened in that building.

We spent that afternoon at the Keemah Boardwalk.  What a fun place!  It was like a permanent carnival, with more restaurants and less lose-your-money midway games.  I lost my money on face painting, funnel cake, and carousel rides.
Sidenote - Next birthday party that I attempt diy face paint, must add black outlines and swirly details.  Makes a big difference.  And a tiny touch of glitter is apparently what really makes it magical.
H rode some really scary rides that I was grateful to wait at the bottom of.  You can't see her, but she's in the crazy updside-down ride in this photo.
The next day we had to work our way back home and did so via the Houston Galleria.  We didn't see very much of it, unfortunately.  I think it would take all day.  But we did as much mall as the little girls could handle then made a Starbucks stop and hit the road.

I grew up near Houston, so I never really attempted the tourist thing in Houston.  I was so glad to do the Space Center and the Boardwalk.  When Z is a little older and (hopefully) into rockets and space, we'll definitely go back.

No comments: