Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Goin' Natural

Count me in! I'm joining the shampoo-free bandwagon! Well, I'm giving it a good try, anyway. I'm not saying that I'm a die-hard believer yet, so let's just call it an extended experiment. I started with simplemom's recipe for one tablespoon of baking soda in one cup of water for shampoo, and one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in one cup of water for conditioner. (J asked if I was going to go around smelling like feet because of the vinegar, but I made him do a sniff test after the first rinse and he said there was no smell at all.)

I use a lot of product in my hair because it is naturally curly, so I was skeptical that baking soda would wash out all the mousse, hairspray, anti-frizz goop, etc. But I actually got a clean squeak! That hasn't happened in a long time because of the super soft water here. I always felt like I couldn't get all the shampoo out of my hair, but it rinses quite clean now. Ditto with the cider vinegar conditioner. I didn't believe it would actually untangle my nest of frizz, but I can comb my fingers through my hair after using it. Who knew?!

I bought some 97-cent clear ketchup bottles out of the kitchen section at WalMart to use as my experiment beakers. They work great because they have a wide mouth for filling, but a narrow squeeze nozzle for applying. They also have a little attached lid, so I don't have to worry about spills or extra shower water going in. And since they're clear, I can tell how much I have left. FYI, for my mane, I think the one cup of solution will last about three washes.

So how does my hair look? I don't think anyone could visually tell a difference. I honestly think it feels a little dry, leaning towards the straw effect. I've always been heavy on the conditioner, though, using it in the shower and then a leave-in conditioner as part of the product regimen. Simplemom warns that there is a transition period, so I'm trying to be patient and see if my scalp starts to compensate. She also says to tweak the formula to your own hair type, so maybe I need to tinker with the amount of baking soda or try honey as a conditioner and see if that helps. I can't tell a difference at all in the way my hair styles. Of course, how hard can it be to style a ponytail?

By far my biggest complaint about the new system is that the mixtures are freezing cold when I go to use them. Since it's basically just water, it stays room temp. In the winter, that's about 68 degrees at our house. So, I'm in a nice hot shower, then have to douse my head with freezing cold water to wash it. Brrr! I have found that if I put the bottles on the floor of the shower and let the water run over them for a while, they warm up a smidge. Still takes some getting used to. The new routine also takes a little longer than regular shampoo, too. Come to think of it, if I used a trigger spray bottle, both of these problems might be alleviated. A finer mist wouldn't be so cold and it might go faster, too. Might also use less. So much to think about.

I would love to say that I'm intrinsically motivated by the green-ness of this idea, but to be honest I'm still putting plenty of chemicals on my head to produce reasonably tame curls. I can't imagine that the natural potions will allow me to do away with mousse and hairspray any time soon. I'm sure it's healthier for my hair to eliminate as many chemicals as possible, and I'm always a fan of the simplest solution for any problem. Bottom line is that I'm a cheapskate and far more motivated by the savings. I think I also find it quite empowering to know that I have options beyond what is being marketed to me, to know that I have investigated my options and made an informed decision. If only I felt the same way about politics.

Stay tuned for more adventures in going natural, as I'm also trying the clean-your-face-with-oil razzmatazz!

No comments: